BigchainDB is a scalable blockchain database. That is, it’s a “big data” database with some blockchain characteristics added, including decentralization, immutability and native support for assets. You can read about the motivations, goals and high-level architecture in the BigchainDB whitepaper.
At a high level, one can communicate with a BigchainDB cluster (set of nodes) using the BigchainDB Client-Server HTTP API, or a wrapper for that API, such as the BigchainDB Python Driver. Each BigchainDB node runs BigchainDB Server and various other software. The terminology page explains some of those terms in more detail.
More About BigchainDB¶
- BigchainDB Docs Home
- How BigchainDB is Decentralized
- Kinds of Node Diversity
- How BigchainDB is Immutable
- BigchainDB and Byzantine Fault Tolerance
- How BigchainDB is Good for Asset Registrations & Transfers
- BigchainDB and Smart Contracts
- Transaction Concepts
- Permissions in BigchainDB
- Timestamps in BigchainDB
- Data Models